CD Burning
Wilkinson,Alex
2004-04-19 01:21:53 UTC
Howdy,

Can anyone recommend a *good* cd burning program with an intuitive GUI?

Thanks

- Alex
--
LinuxSA WWW: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/ IRC: #linuxsa on irc.linux.org.au
Aristotle
David Fitch
2004-04-19 01:21:54 UTC
Post by Wilkinson,Alex
Can anyone recommend a *good* cd burning program with an intuitive GUI?
tried xcdroast? (www.xcdroast.org)
I have only briefly, usually just use cdrecord, but it seemed good.

Dave.
--
LinuxSA WWW: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/ IRC: #linuxsa on irc.linux.org.au
Robyn Manning

Adam Hawes
2004-04-19 01:21:54 UTC
Hi all... XCDroast is pretty good - we had a whole group of people using
it at my previous place of work on a lowly P90 that was set up as a SMB
server as well. Everyone seemed to be able to drive the software once
we told them that was the software to use. Nobody complained, and it did
everything that everyone wanted. One thing we did to make sure that you
couldn't kill a burn was to wrap the XCDroast in a shell script that ran
the software with higher priority. sudo took care of assigning root
permissions and it produced only one coaster in the 6 or so months that
I was there.

Multisession is a property of the underlying cdrecord program that
XCDroast (used to, does it still?) calls.

There's lots of issues with recording multisession CDs. IF you really
need to do it, does VMware work for burning CDs? Otherwise you'll still
need to dual boot (damn).

Cheers,
Adam
--
LinuxSA WWW: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/ IRC: #linuxsa on irc.linux.org.au
2004-04-19 01:21:59 UTC
Adam Hawes writes:
[...]
Post by Adam Hawes
Multisession is a property of the underlying cdrecord program that
XCDroast (used to, does it still?) calls.
There's lots of issues with recording multisession CDs. IF you really
need to do it, does VMware work for burning CDs? Otherwise you'll still
need to dual boot (damn).
I have had reasonable success with this under VMware 3, with NT4 as the
guest OS. I don't think VMware supports CD burners directly yet, but it
does support raw SCSI device access, and my burner is SCSI. I set it up
as a raw device in VMware using /dev/sg0 (in my case). I think I also
had to install a SCSI driver on NT - instructions are on the VMware web
site - I can probably dig up more info if it's hard to find.

I got it showing up as a CD under NT, and set up Easy CD Creator to use
the SCSI device. I mount my Linux home directory as an NT SMB share, and
back up files that way. All works pretty nicely, except for a couple of things:

1. It doesn't seem to want to write very large files - say > 150MB. When
writing large files, the FIFO percentage full starts to drop. Seems that
the larger the file, the further it drops. I wrote a 100MB file ok, and
it dropped to around 50-60% temporarily. I suspect some sort of resource
starvation - maybe when VMware does disk reads nothing else gets a look in.

2. I have found VMware raw SCSI support to be a little flakey. Once VMware
gets its hands on the device, it's difficult to free it up for Linux use again.
Disconnecting it in VMware doesn't seem to work normally. Closing down VMware
fully often fixes it. I have had one or two full system hangs whilst messing
with it. For the moment I'm just relegating the writer to NT semi-permanently.

Oh and of course because Win is case-insensitive, if you try and back up two
files in the same directory with the same name but different case (Linux kernel
sources have some if I remember correctly), you'll get only one (and a dialog
box about it). One solution is to tar up the files first, though it's a bit
of a pain getting just one file back.

I haven't been doing this for a long time, but things seem to be ok so far.
The multi-session CDs seem to be readable OK under Linux (RedHat-ish system,
2.2.17 kernel), with all sessions presented as one view. (Only small problem
seems to be an NT bug which stops a new session being seen by the filesystem
under NT after it has been written. Not sure if there's another solution
other than rebooting NT. Don't think Linux has this problem.)

Hope this helps

Cheers

-Matthew
| Matthew Donaldson http://www.datadeliverance.com |
| Data Deliverance Pty. Ltd. Email: ***@datadeliverance.com |
| 30 Musgrave Ave. Phone: +61 8 8265 7976 _ |
| Banksia Park Fax: +61 8 8265 0032 John / \/ |
| South Australia 5091 3:16 \_/\ |
Freeman, Peter (ERHS)
2004-04-19 01:21:54 UTC
Post by Wilkinson,Alex
Can anyone recommend a *good* cd burning program with an intuitive GUI?
If you're using KDE, I tripped over a QT based one called CD Bakeoven
a couple weeks ago. I must say I'm quite impressed with it. (of course
it will also work under Gnome, just in case anyone's warming up the
flamethrowers ;o)

http://cdbakeoven.sourceforge.net/

Also I've used XCDroast / Koncd / Kreatecd with mixed levels of success,
of those 3 I'd recommend XCDroast, however Bakeoven is my personal
favorite at this point in time.
--
LinuxSA WWW: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/ IRC: #linuxsa on irc.linux.org.au
James Dean
2004-04-19 01:21:55 UTC
I recently stumbled over gcombust, from my kitchen-sink
install of Mandrake. I like this _lots_ better than XCDroast - I have an IDE
CD drive, and all the versions of XCDRoast I've seen
can't cope with it (SCSI burner). gcombust dealt with it just fine. Also, more
options for burn configurations, more streamlined dialogs (to my mind), etcetcetc.

I found I preferred to use the command line and
shell scripts over XCDRoast. I can use gcombust easily, and well.

James

PS Sorry Peter; I don't think I've sent a reply straight to the list
the first time since I started posting.

Andrew Reid
2004-04-19 01:21:55 UTC
Post by James Dean
I recently stumbled over gcombust, from my kitchen-sink
install of Mandrake. I like this _lots_ better than XCDroast - I have an IDE
CD drive, and all the versions of XCDRoast I've seen
can't cope with it (SCSI burner). gcombust dealt with it just fine. Also, more
options for burn configurations, more streamlined dialogs (to my mind), etcetcetc.
Were you using the SCSI emulation for IDE devices module (ide-scsi)?
Post by James Dean
I found I preferred to use the command line and
shell scripts over XCDRoast. I can use gcombust easily, and well.
I much prefer the command-line CD creation tools. Under FreeBSD, I
simply use mkisofs and burncd, and all I've got to do is wait for the
CD. Better than fiddling round with the GUI things that are floating
about.

- andrew
--
Andrew J. Reid "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem
***@plug.cx mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane
Craig Keogh
2004-04-19 01:21:58 UTC
Post by Andrew Reid
I much prefer the command-line CD creation tools. Under FreeBSD, I
simply use mkisofs and burncd, and all I've got to do is wait for the
CD. Better than fiddling round with the GUI things that are floating
about.
What what if you are burning files / directories that are scattered
throughout your filesystems?

The drag and drop features can save time.

I use KreateCD http://www.kreatecd.de/ , I like the drag and drop
interface, and it works like a treat on Solaris-Sparc system. After
recommendation from this list, I might try out CD Bake Oven - that
looks neat.

Craig
--
LinuxSA WWW: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/ IRC: #linuxsa on irc.linux.org.au
Andrew Reid
2004-04-19 01:21:58 UTC
[ Greg and Mark -- see toward the end of the message for the bit that I
was referring to you. ]
Post by Craig Keogh
Post by Andrew Reid
I much prefer the command-line CD creation tools. Under FreeBSD, I
simply use mkisofs and burncd, and all I've got to do is wait for the
CD. Better than fiddling round with the GUI things that are floating
about.
What what if you are burning files / directories that are scattered
throughout your filesystems?
I generally create a 'to-cd' directory in /usr/tmp and copy all the data
I need into that directory. It can be a little annoying, but most of the
time I seem to burn clumps of files that reside in the same place. For
example, I might copy some files from /usr/ports/distfiles and then
/home/andrew/working etc., etc.
Post by Craig Keogh
The drag and drop features can save time.
I agree. It's particularly good for creating audio CDs.[1]
Post by Craig Keogh
I use KreateCD http://www.kreatecd.de/ , I like the drag and drop
interface, and it works like a treat on Solaris-Sparc system. After
recommendation from this list, I might try out CD Bake Oven - that
looks neat.
KreateCD looks gorgeous; I've not seen it before. The only thing is that
it relies on cdrecord, which relies on SCSI, which, if you have an IDE
burner means that you have to rely on SCSI emulation, which is not
available under FreeBSD. [ Which... :-) ]

I doubt that there would be much hacking required to make KreateCD work,
but I don't believe that making individual application changes is the
right way to address the issue. Someone with developer-level knowledge
of the FreeBSD kernel (ie, not me!) needs to write some SCSI emulation
code.

I've CC'd to the two FreeBSD committers on this list to see if they can
give any insight into the relative difficulty of the task, and the
likelihood (or lack thereof) of it being implemented (maybe as a KLM?).

- andrew

[1] Which I won't be doing for much longer. I'm getting my iPod in a
week-and-a-half's time :-)
Michael Wardle
2004-04-19 01:21:59 UTC
Post by Andrew Reid
KreateCD looks gorgeous; I've not seen it before. The only thing is that
it relies on cdrecord, which relies on SCSI, which, if you have an IDE
burner means that you have to rely on SCSI emulation, which is not
available under FreeBSD. [ Which... :-) ]
burncd is so much nicer than cdrecord and some SCSI kludge, don't you
think? ;-)
Post by Andrew Reid
I doubt that there would be much hacking required to make KreateCD work,
but I don't believe that making individual application changes is the
right way to address the issue. Someone with developer-level knowledge
of the FreeBSD kernel (ie, not me!) needs to write some SCSI emulation
code.
Why not suggest a burncd patch to KreateCD? IIRC, its command line
parameters are very simple.
--
MICHAEL WARDLE | WORK +61-2-6024-2699
SGI Desktop & Admin Software | MOBILE +61-415-439-838
Andrew Reid
2004-04-19 01:21:59 UTC
Post by Michael Wardle
Post by Andrew Reid
KreateCD looks gorgeous; I've not seen it before. The only thing is that
it relies on cdrecord, which relies on SCSI, which, if you have an IDE
burner means that you have to rely on SCSI emulation, which is not
available under FreeBSD. [ Which... :-) ]
burncd is so much nicer than cdrecord and some SCSI kludge, don't you
think? ;-)
Yes, it is. However, patching each program to work with burncd seems
like an unnecessary amount of work. If you can create a kernel-level
IDE-SCSI interface that works with cdrecord, you've immediately opened
up the number of options that people with IDE CD-R drives have when
choosing a CD burning application.
Post by Michael Wardle
Post by Andrew Reid
I doubt that there would be much hacking required to make KreateCD work,
but I don't believe that making individual application changes is the
right way to address the issue. Someone with developer-level knowledge
of the FreeBSD kernel (ie, not me!) needs to write some SCSI emulation
code.
Why not suggest a burncd patch to KreateCD? IIRC, its command line
parameters are very simple.
Yes, they are, but that's not the issue here. A common interface to CD-R
drives, whether they be IDE or SCSI needs to be available to developers.

Seeing as cdrecord appears to have become the defacto standard interface
between the GUI and the drive itself, it seems to make sense to me that
you'd go along with what's already being used.

It takes the responsibility away from the application developers. They
then only have to interface with one application, not one or two for
each operating system.

cdrecord works on everything from BSD, to SunOS, to AIX, even on
Windows. It makes sense to use that.

- andrew
Greg Lehey
2004-04-19 01:21:59 UTC
Post by Andrew Reid
I doubt that there would be much hacking required to make KreateCD work,
but I don't believe that making individual application changes is the
right way to address the issue. Someone with developer-level knowledge
of the FreeBSD kernel (ie, not me!) needs to write some SCSI emulation
code.
I've CC'd to the two FreeBSD committers on this list to see if they can
give any insight into the relative difficulty of the task, and the
likelihood (or lack thereof) of it being implemented (maybe as a KLM?).
I wouldn't want to investigate the technical difficulty, but I can
tell you now it's not going to happen. We've discussed this in the
FreeBSD technical lists before, and we're agreed that emulation is not
the way to handle this sort of thing. The correct way would be to fix
the userland software.

Greg
--
Finger ***@lemis.com for PGP public key