linux skype - closure
Jaroslav Kautsky
2014-08-18 09:43:41 UTC
Hi all,

as I wrote, on August 2 my Linux skype stopped working. Thanks again
to all who helped me to fix it and particularly suggested how to
install the new version which my automatic system failed to see.

It may be of interest that 6 days later I got the enclosed email.
I suspect it may be a spam - the 4 URLs in the text are very long
and almost identical. I had no reason to try them.

Thanks again,

Jerry
encl:
Subject: Spam:**, Your Skype for Linux version is being retired. Update
today.
From: Skype <noreply3 at emails.skype.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 17:36:54 -0700 (PDT) (Sat 10:06 CST)
To: jardakau at internode.on.net

Your Skype for Linux version is being retired.
Update today. ?
Can't see this email properly? Forgotten your password?
Garry Trethewey
2014-08-18 23:09:45 UTC
Hi all

This has prompted me to put a few thoughts from the land of ordinary
mums & dads users, not all you network guys who know what you're doing.

re: Jerry's email I just googled "emails.skype.com" and got

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA330/how-do-i-know-that-an-email-is-really-from-skype

and

http://community.skype.com/t5/Security-Privacy-Trust-and/Phishing-I-suppose-emails-skype-com/td-p/3167246

They seem to say opposite things, ie is / is not fraudulent.

We just got a similar message to his, purportedly from dropbox, with a
"click here". I presume legitimate, because it quotes that machine's
name, but might be just a more clever scam.

Gotta say, dodgy stuff is getting harder to spot. I miss the days of
Dear Mester Garry, we at comonwelth Bank.....

And conversely, valid providers are encouraging behaviours that are risky.

eg 1) Bigpond cold calling me and asking for my user details. I checked
(which was bloody hard) but found this was a genuine Bigpond call. They
are quite clear on their website that they don't do that.

eg 2) A local wifi hotspot with no security certificate elicited various
Firefox warnings, but they assure me they're safe.

eg 3) And from the URL below, "we have been conditioned .... to
consider e-mails such as this bogus. Now Dropbox comes along sending out
an e-mail requiring us to unlearn and go against all of the training
we?ve learned."
http://www.thepaepae.com/how-do-you-spell-phishing-a-scam-targeting-dropbox-users/25254/

regards Garry
From: Skype <noreply3 at emails.skype.com>